Tuesday 12 July 2011

sha-bee chic

I had just completed internship number 4. I needed a project, something to keep me from tearing my hair out at the idiocies of being on the dole. Having been told that I needed to apply to be a structural engineer at a railway station or I would lose my Jobseeker's Allowance, I had just about had enough. I needed something pretty, creative, fulfilling, and hopefully something with some form of financial gain. 


Looking around for a french style/Laura Ashley style chair for my newly decorated bedroom, I was shocked to learn how much it would cost me. I quickly learned the commercial talk for what I was looking for. 'Shabby chic' was all the rage. Antique, Provencal looking furniture was being snapped up all over the world, and as a result, prices were high, too high for a measly Philosophy graduate with no income.
The 'Fairytale throne'  £270 from Ascendi Furntiure
Basically I became obsessed. I would spend hours on the internet trying to find a bargain chair, perfect for my boudoir. Then one day, a metaphorical lightbulb appeared above my head, dollar signs, well pound coins at least, shone on my eyes, and I decided to start making my own shabby chic furniture. What started with one chair for myself, quickly inspired me to make more. I found cheap furniture at recycling centers, auctions and rubbish tips and spent my days painting, distressing and upholstering chairs, tables and blanket boxes into sell-able shabby chic furniture.

My first two chairs- sold for £90 pair
Blanket box (still at the foot of my bed!)






Thankfully my mother who is not only an amazing artist, but a super hero when it comes to crafts and design was on hand to teach me how to upholster, so I got the knack quite quickly. I'm going to post a step by step guide soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment